Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is transforming rapidly our society and has a great effect on our view on learning and teaching. One of the most important factor of this field is that it is so fast paced, ever-changing entity that it might easily overwhelm students, teachers, and parents.
In this blog I will provide insight and practical step by step how-to’s of how to integrate ICT into Primary Years Programme, take ownership of different technologies that are useful, and improve virtual and physical learning environments in school.
- Writing and Reading- An Inquiry way to integrate ICT in early years classroom. A systematic and researched model to teach writing and reading.
- Integrated reading program – Raz-Kids
- Teacher How-To: Setup Running Records
- Parent How-To: Reading with iPads
- Classroom management system – Classdojo
- iPad integration – making a shift from a consumer of knowledge to a producer of knowledge.
- Free Software – bringing in software that is meant for schools not corporations.
- ICT Scope and Sequence – an evolving document that approaches ICT integration through concepts and skills.
- Learning Management Systems – what are the benefits and differences between different systems and why should we use blended models at school.
- Collaborative Planning tools – How can we effectively manage our planning, assessment, attendance, reporting, and communication.
I believe that each learner deserves a stimulating, intellectually challenging, caring and supportive environment in which to learn. I would describe myself as a constructivist, this term means many things to many people, but to me, it means simply that knowledge and understanding cannot be transmitted between people; it must be constructed over time by each individual. It is my desire as an educator to offer all learners; students, teachers, and the whole learning community this environment. I will provide an environment that is conducive to learning by acting as a facilitator for the whole school.
University & Teaching Credentials
I have a Master’s degree in Education from the University of Lapland.
Google Certified Educator Level 1-2
I have successfully lead as a PYP Coordinator and participated as a classroom teacher in PYP, MYP and DP authorization and PYP evaluation visits. I have over 19 years overall experience in teaching and 15 years of international experience, I have been a PYP Coordinator for the over 7 years, vice-principal for 3, and IBEN workshop leader and a School Visiting Team Member for 2 years. I have taught in Finnish, American and International schools and have taught to the Canadian, US, and Finnish National Curriculum in addition to IB PYP.
I am an educational technology advocate and an avid reader. I run minecraftedu clubs and book clubs for students and staff.
Professional Career Goals
I am interested in working in IB PYP World School as a PYP Coordinator or IT Facilitator particularly in Asia, Europe or Latin America.